Project Lead: Soprema
Consortium Members: Soprema, FPInnovations, West Fraser, Kruger and Noram Engineering
The goal of this project is to demonstrate the feasibility of using lignin to replace part of the bitumen used for roofing and waterproofing membrane applications.
Soprema and its consortium will achieve this by:
- Characterizing different types of lignin to identify best candidates
- Testing lignin in membrane systems to identify best candidate
- Conducting complete tests including aging
- Conducting a pre-commercial demonstration
- Conducting cost evaluation and environmental life cycle analysis
Soprema’s brand new plant in Woodstock has been designed for producing more environmentally friendly building material. Commercialization of lignin-based roofing membranes perfectly suits the envisioned activities of this state-of-the-art plant.