Use of lignin-based asphalt concrete in a Canadian context
Consortium Members: Pioneer Construction Inc, FPInnovations, West Fraser, City of Thunder Bay, École de technologie supérieure, Lakehead University, and Laval University.
CRIBE Funding: $200,000
Project Total Value: $1,455,000
The goal of this project is to increase the commercial readiness of lignin polymers and fine chemicals through the commercial demonstration of lignin-based asphalt in Canada.
Pioneer and its consortium will achieve this by:
- Performing all required tests on the bitumen, the bitumen modified with lignin, and the lignin-modified asphalt to ensure they meet provincial standards.
- Conducting accelerated testing of the lignin-modified asphalt in a controlled environment at University Laval.
- Conducting an on-site pilot demonstration on sections of road in Ontario.
- Completing a full environmental and life cycle cost analysis comparing lignin-modified asphalt to conventional asphalt.
- Communicating the outcomes of this project throughout the project’s duration, via conferences, scientific papers, reports, meetings, etc.
Read the press release