Use of lignin-based asphalt concrete in a Canadian context
Project Start Date: 09/10/2021
Project End Date: 31/03/2023
CRIBE Funding: $200,000
Project Total Value: $1,455,000
Share this post
Project Lead: Pioneer Construction Inc.
Consortium Members: Pioneer Construction Inc, FPInnovations, West Fraser, City of Thunder Bay, École de technologie supérieure, Lakehead University, and Laval University.
The goal of this project is to increase the commercial readiness of lignin polymers and fine chemicals through the commercial demonstration of lignin-based asphalt in Canada.
Pioneer and its consortium will achieve this by:
- Performing all required tests on the bitumen, the bitumen modified with lignin, and the lignin-modified asphalt to ensure they meet provincial standards.
- Conducting accelerated testing of the lignin-modified asphalt in a controlled environment at University Laval.
- Conducting an on-site pilot demonstration on sections of road in Ontario.
- Completing a full environmental and life cycle cost analysis comparing lignin-modified asphalt to conventional asphalt.
- Communicating the outcomes of this project throughout the project’s duration, via conferences, scientific papers, reports, meetings, etc.